Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Finally, Progress

I haven't had time to fill you in on all the happenings of the weekend. Friday night we went to the movies in the park that I talked about earlier. Unfortunately, we missed Pretty in Pink because I was in Mobile but we caught this week's showing of Stand by Me. We took Rafa and also took along a nice pasta dinner with a salad and wine. We ran into one of Lucas's soccer friends there and watched the movie with them. It was such a nice night.

The next morning we got up early to run in the Spirit of America 5 Mile Run in Decatur. All in all it was a pretty poorly run race but it was only $10 each ($13 after their "processing" fees) and we got a pretty nice dri-fit-like shirt. They had progressive start times so I didn't start until 14 minutes after the beginning and Lucas didn't start until 20 minutes after the beginning (the last group). Then, we had no idea what our run times were. We crossed the finish line and there was no time clock and no one telling you your times. There were also no people calling times throughout the race. It was a very poorly run race but at least we got some exercise. I ended up finishing in 50 minutes (I just found out yesterday by looking online) and Lucas finished in 58 minutes. At least Rafa got to watch us run. Mom came to cheer us on and watch Rafa! She took a picture of us before the race so once I get it I'll post it for you.

After the race, Lucas and I went to Hartselle and met my granddad. We loaded up the saw and wood and went to work on our house. We got almost all of the base boards and door facings put up! Grandaddy came back on Sunday to finish up a little. We still have a huge project although it isn't that big... we are widening the entrance to our living room. It is probably only 6 or 8 inches but I think it will make a big difference. Once we get this hole fixed, we can finish up that door facing and the connecting base boards. Also, Lowes by our house was out of the quarter round we use so we had to go to the Lowes on North Parkway to buy more. Our job is to prime and paint this quarter round and hopefully get it up on our own. This will be our first job with the wood, saw, and air nailer by ourselves. Help us! Haha!

Mom stopped by while we were working and gave me an early birthday present... a pig flower waterer! I'm not sure if this actually has a name or if it is just failing me right now but it is a pig and I can water my flowers with it. It is so cute! We saw a very expensive one at this uppity garden store (by uppity I mean expensive) at the Summit in Birmingham but we weren't going to spend $70 on it. Mom said she got a good deal on it but it looks just a cute! I can't wait to take a picture and show it off!

Monday night we had a 9.0 mixed match and Lucas and I made our debut together. And we rocked! We won 6-0, 6-3. Lucas is really fun to play with because he is so good he gave me a lot of easy put-aways. And it helped that I was playing really good, too. I played 8.0 last night and had another easy victory: 6-2, 6-1. Again, I was playing really well. I feel it all coming together. I'm playing better now than I have in a while... probably better than I was playing in college. So that's nice. But it is also easier to play better when it is just fun and not so much pressure.

I just made Rafa an appointment with the groomer for Monday. I was hoping maybe tomorrow before the 4th but I understand that is a little much to ask. He is a cutey either way. I can't wait to see what he looks like after a cut. We are taking him to the river on Friday so I need to go buy him a little doggy life jacket. Speaking of Friday, I have to find a good recipe to take on the 4th. Any good ideas? Brooke, I may be scrolling through your "What's Cooking Wednesdays". Any good recipes for the 4th?

I'm hoping for another Patio Party tonight with Amy and Debbie, possibly Mary Beth if her trip to the dentist goes well. We are super busy at work so it will be nice to relax with some $2 Long Islands!

No comments: