Friday, January 9, 2009

Got Milk?

One day, Simon, Lina, Lucas and I loaded up the car and headed to Panaca. I was told this was like an animal-themed Six Flags without the rides. 'Why else would you go to Six Flags if there are no rides?' I thought. Well, my skepticism faded and we had a great time.

Right off the bat there is a big (lazy) bull at the entrance to meet you. The guys just hopped right on. Me - no, thank you. I'd rather not straddle a bull. Ha!


But I will hold this cute, baby goat. So precious!


The first exhibition of the day was 'las vacas' (or 'the cows'). So I stepped right up for my shot to milk a cow. This was quite an experience. I'll just say that I really felt like I was violating her. Poor cow.
Lucas took full advantage of my milking and DRANK THE MILK!!! Ugh! It was hot and everything. So gross!


Lucas spared some milk for the goats so we poured the milk into one of their bottles and went off on our nurturing ways. Those goats sure are greedy. None of them wanted to share.


We tried to be fair and give to many.....


I don't even have words. Haha! So after feeding time we walked around and looked at all the different bulls living in Panaca. This strange fellow looks oddly familiar...

Next we were off to a show where they explained many different things about some of the animals in Panaca. Much of the show included audience participation. Lucas was picked right off the bat for a little friendly cow milking competitition. Haha!


Simon got called out for a little 'tug of war'. He lost....


And Lina got to ride into the stadium on a bull!

Next, we were off to visit the piggies. I was so excited about this exhibition. I saw a litter of baby pigs that had been born just that morning! We also saw a show with some pig races and got to meet lots of the pigs at Panaca. My favorite part was feeding the pigs.... or should I say pig. Now I understand where the saying 'eats like a pig' comes from. That little piggy swallowed the entire contents of the bottle in less than two gulps and was fighting me for the bottle. He didn't want to let go!!

Lucas, Simon and I bought tickets for the 'Canopy Tour' or zip-line through Panaca. This was such an adventure! I wish we had better photos but the memories are awesome!


When we came off the zip-line there was a military exhibition set up. I jumped at the chance to show you readers their equipment. Much of the equipment here are things they use to hunt the militants deep in the Amazon in the southern part of Colombia (drug lords and guerillas).
Simon really got into it, as well. I would say a little too into it......
The last exhibition of the day was the horse show. Seeing the horses and their talented riders was really amazing. We were enjoying ourselves so much.....until the rain hit. I thought surely this would be the end of the show. But the crazy stunt riders kept right on going!

We had a wonderful day and learned lots about animals. It is definitely something I'll take our kids back to see in the future. They'll probably understand it a little more than I did as I'm sure their Spanish will be much better than mine.


On that note I will have you know that my Spanish improved greatly during my two weeks there. I'm really excited that I was able to pick it back up so easily once I was fully emersed. I need to continue speaking and studying now while it is fresh so that I can improve even more. I would love to speak fluent Spanish one day. But as anyone who knows both English and Spanish can tell you, Spanish is much more difficult to learn than English. Much. I have a long way to go.

No comments: