Monday, January 12, 2009

A Tour

I thought since I've been talking about my time in Colombia, I'd give you a better idea of our surroundings. Most of our down time was spent at the farm house.


It is a beautiful house with all the windows and doors opening outside to let the sunlight and warm breezes flow through the house. All the bedrooms are upstairs and downstairs holds the small living room area (though the need for this is minimal since it is so beautiful outside), the dining area, and kitchen. There is also a small living area and bedrooms for the workers on the farm. Currently they have a family with one child living and working here. The man takes care of much of the landscaping, maintenance, and upkeep issues with the house. The woman helps prepare meals and keep the house clean (no easy feat since everything is pretty much open to the outside).


Most of Colombia is set in rolling mountains, hills, and valleys. The farm is located at the top of one of these valleys and the land stretches around and down the hillside. Lucas's father farms many fruit plants on the land and there are always plentiful mangos, oranges, and plantains.

The views from the farm house are awe-inspiring. It is beautiful!

There is a tomato farm below the farm in the valley. The farmers put plastic over the tomatoes to protect them from the sun or lock in their gases or something.

And there is a small pool by day and hot tub by night to help you enjoy the beauty.


Our room at the farm....complete with breathtaking views...

And right outside our bedroom was this lovely hammock. Here is where I sat down with Eclipse and finished Breaking Dawn. I have so much to say about that but I'm sure there is plenty of time for that in the future (like when the DVD comes out on March 21st)!!


This hammock and I shared some special Twilight moments together and I'll always have a special place in my heart for this spot. :)

As part of her Christmas decorations, Lucas's mom put up this gorgeous sign. I loved being included and it helped make Colombia feel a little more like home.


We have a few friends at the farm

Laisa (pronounced 'Liza'), the Guacamaya

Mango, the Rotweiler

Sampras, a German Shepherd, is also a part of the family but while we were there he got away and has not yet been found. Hopefully he has found a good and safe home and is being taken care of.


There is lots to do in the city and so for those nights that we had plans we stayed in their large, city apartment. I don't have pictures of the outside. It is a brick building with a three car garage on the street level. Their home is three levels. The first level contains our guest bedroom and bathroom, the kitchen, the maid's living quarters, the dining area, and a formal living room. The second level contains the master bedroom, his brother's bedrooms, and a casual family room. The third floor is a loft area that serves as an office and has a large balcony outside with beautiful views over the city.

The apartment is directly across from the soccer stadium, home to Once Caldas. There are also lots of concerts and activities here and the stadium is open during the day for citizens to run and walk around the track.




The tennis courts (look at that clay!) are also across the street along with a gymnasium and community center.


You can see the downtown Manizles skyline to the left....


Lucas and his family are very fortunate to be able to enjoy both aspects of Colombian living - the city and farm life. I really enjoy my time in both places. The city is bustling and you can always find something to do here. The farm is relaxing and gives you an opportunity to enjoy time together with the family..... just don't forget the bug spray!

No comments: