What we didn't realize is that ivy keeps growing and growing and growing and eventually kills the big trees we first fell in love with. Also, these big trees mean lots of leaves during the Fall and getting leaves out of thirty years worth of ivy growth is not easy. Big trees also mean very sparse grass, which is probably why the ivy was put there in the first place.
So, for the past year we have been ripping out ivy..... little..... by..... little. We still have some ivy growth in the side lawn, but we have finally won the battle against ivy in our front yard! Late August / Early September is the best time to sow grass seed in the South so that is what we did on our Labor Day!
We tilled the yard and started with some fresh dirt.
Then Lucas took our grass seed made specifically for shady lawns in our area and spread them with our new handy, dandy seed spreader.
Then we spread the wheat straw over the lawn and started the sprinkling.
9 comments:
your house is gorgeous!!
and i can just imagine your yard with all the grass... i'm sure it will look beautiful!
Oh my! You aren't afraid of all kinds of change at one time are you!! Good for you! Good luck with the grass!
Nevermind...HA!! I saw the real estate sign in the first picture and totally misunderstood and thought your house was up for sale. I need a beverage...
That looks like it was LOTS of hard work!!! Yay for getting so much done! :o)
Hi there! I saw that you follow the Cloth Diaper Report blog. I have a blog called "Happily Domestic" and want to invite you to visit. I write on cloth diapers regularly as well and host many great cloth diaper related giveaways plus others.
If you want to try and win a Planet Wise diaper pail liner, I have a giveaway for one at my blog right now. Ends 9/23
here is the link:http://happilydomestic.blogspot.com/2009/09/planet-wise-pail-liner-review-and.html
Hope you stop by! :-)
Thanks,
Beth
I just love Bham. My Mr is from there and my in-laws live in Indian Spgs. I just love the foliage there and the different kinds of trees. Here in FL we get mostly pines and oaks. They have tons of hickory trees in their yard. One other thing is it seems like the soil there is magic! Stuff just grows so well. Can't wait to see your grass after it comes in.
How's baby girl doing?
Can't wait to see the results!
Wow...good work! I can totally relate to the home ownership not being all it's cracked up to be part...we are so terrible about fixing things and maintaining.....y'all wanna come redo our yard when you finish?
I hope it grows!!
Post a Comment